Friday, April 4, 2008

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78 -- Digital Fortress, code at end of book

I just finished reading Digital Fortress. Took me about three days. I would probably have finished reading it before if it hadn't been for school though. It was hard to put the book away and do something else, but I'm not going to write a whole book report now. There's plenty of reviews on the net already. Now I'm just going to explain the code which is found at the end of the book (there's plenty of explanations of this too, though, I believe):

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78 (English Version)

103-88-60-105-42-113-18-70-62-116-55-110-41-88-59-85 (Norwegian Version)

Read on if you want the answer right on the table. If you want  to solve it on your own, don't read on (it's more fun when you solve it on your own).


The code isn't that hard really. I'll admit that I didn't have the patience to solve it on my own so I just looked it up on the net. Anyway:

Each number corresponds to a chapter. What you need to do first is to take the first letter from each chapter.

Do this and you will get this:

W E C G E W H Y A A I O R T N U (English)

V L T E I A I D V L D E I L S G (Norwegian)

If you remember the Caesars Box (square), you will need to make a "square" with the letters. There are 16 letters so there are 4 rows and 4 columns with letters:

English:

W  E  C  G
E  W  H  Y 
A  A  I  O 
R  T  N  U

Norwegian:

V  L  T  E
I  A  I  D
V  L  D  E
I  L  S  G

To get the code in plaintext just read from above and downwards:

English: "WE ARE WATCHING YOU"

Norwegian: "VI VIL ALLTID SE DEG"

Dan Brown is a genius! At the moment, he is working on a new book with the Harvard professor, Robert Langdon, as protagonist: Widow's Son: The Solomon Key

- Zlash
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

External links:

Digital Fortress - Wikipedia
Dan Brown - Wikipedia
The Solomon Key - Wikipedia

11 comments:

amelin said...

really nice!! i solve another code, but i have no clue what that´s mean because i did not read the book:
It says:
Read the book that NSA does not want to be read.
What is talking about??

Anonymous said...

it's from danbrown.com

Anonymous said...

The NSA is a secret agency who is, as the code says, "watching you". Before this book was written, only 3% of America's population knew that it existed. I think "the book the NSA doesn't want you to read" means that they does not want people to know what they work with.

Anonymous said...

Really good translation into norwegian, by the way:-)

Anonymous said...

Well after almost an hour of trying to decode it i google it and realize that the code is only meant to be in English, so much for reading it in Albanian >_> stupid translators didn't even try .

Unknown said...

Well how come 16 letters a coming from 128 chapter

Unknown said...

Well how come 16 letters a coming from 128 chapter

Unknown said...

They are representing chapter numbers . Take first letter from chapter 128, Second letter from chapter 10 and so on..

Unknown said...

Who guards the guards? He who also created them and all of us. This pandemic escapes not His notice nor permission. He is simply reminding mankind of our fragility without His power.

LeMor said...

Thanks from a lazy me

Unknown said...

Just finished reading and dis the code by myself! I drew smileys :] all over my walls the other day. I. Was. So. Spooked.